Music is very important to telenovelas. In Pasion de Gavilanes, the love interest of Franco is bar singer who has a signature song. I wish I could decipher the title, but due to my limited Spanish education I know it is something like I'm His Girl. Its a upbeat ballad-like tune that she only sings when Franco is at the bar. The theme song for this telenovela is the same song and I never realized how long these intros are. For normal television shows the theme song is very short and anyone who is a smaller role has their name appear one the screen once the show has begun and no one is paying attention. I do like this aspect of telenovelas because it seems as if all characters are important and they each get their own screen time. However, the theme doesn't come on until the show has been on for ten minutes. When I first began the show I assumed there was no song because we had already gotten so deep in the story and then bam, the song begins. 
     This a Colombian telenovela and I don't think anyone has as strict of censorship as Venezuela and Turkey, but I do see avoidance of political topics. I'm not expert on Colombian politics, but none of the subjects I've come across so far have had a radical undertone. I can't say whether this was purposeful or not however, it keeps them safe legally. 
      Pasion de Gavilanes is not a a violent show. I think this is because it is a typical Telenovela Rosa and it really doesn't fit in with the story. There are moments of extreme anger, for example when Libia confronts a grieving family with her affair with their deceased family member. There other extremely passionate moments of anger, but this isn't a high stakes type of show. 
       As we come to an end with this class, and this is our final blog post I wanted to express how much I enjoyed this course. This was by far the most interesting choice for a FYO and the topic of the class is perfect for the half semester. I say this not because I want it to end early, but the course material is intriguing enough to hold my attention for two hours. This class has been the highlight of my Wednesday and I'm sad we are almost done. 

Comments