Music and Romance

Music and Romance

When we discussed music in class today, it seemed fitting, as the music was one of the first things I noticed when I started watching Tierra de Reyes. Aside from the intro sequence they played in each episode, the music was what gave away the three main couples in the show: Arturo and Sofia, Flavio and Irina, and Samuel and Andrea. Each one had their own song that played whenever they had interactions with one another. Arturo and Sofia's song was: Eres mi Reina, Flavio and Irina's song was: Hasta el Fin, and Samuel and Andrea's song was: Dejame amarte. I looked up the translations of the song lyrics to see how well they compared with the couples that they had been matched with. Eres mi Reina translates to 'You are my Queen', which definitely seems fitting considering there are multiple references within the dialogue where Sofia calls Arturo her king, and her sisters tell her that when she is with Arturo, he will treat her like a queen. Hasta el Fin translates to 'Until the End' and the song has lyrics such as 'You must trust me' and 'I know we are different', but essentially a theme of not being afraid to love. I think this song is very applicable to Flavio and Irina. Of all the couples, I think they suffered most from the 'on again, off again' problem, such as couples in modern day television. However, Flavio spent most of his time trying to convince Irina to be with him, to trust in him, because he would always love her. I would also argue that they were one of the more passionate couples. Every scene where they would kiss or were touching, it felt very hot and heavy as compared to the other couples, and the song included elements of that as well. It was a song that had a lot of calm and romantic notes, but it managed to be really intense at the same time, which completely matches Flavio and Irina's relationship. Lastly, Dejame amarte, which translates to 'Let Me Love You', which again, is perfect for Samuel and Andrea. The song lyrics are asking for forgiveness for the moments in the past, and permission to love now. Andrea spent most of the beginning of the show hiding her feelings for Samuel with hatred. When she finally allowed herself to be with him, she asked him for forgiveness for being so cruel and keeping her love for him a secret for such a long time. I think it's incredible that telenovelas have the ability to create so much emotion by playing songs in the background, but to have the music be completely applicable to the nature of the characters is astounding. I also appreciated the tendency of the characters all having their own affectionate terms for one another, that were different from the other couples. Arturo and Sofia called each other 'king and queen'. Flavio and Irina called each other 'muneco/a' which meant doll, and Samuel always called Andrea 'brujita' or 'little witch', because before he fell in love with her he had called her a witch. There's just so much thought that is put into the chemistry and romantic elements of these couples, and it's what develops such a strong connection between them and the audience. They make every relationship unique and every love different but just as amazing in it's own way. It's very special, and it's what made me appreciate my telenovela that much more.

Comments

  1. I think music adds so much to not only telenovelas, but any TV show or movie. I didn’t realize how influential music was to a scene until Dr. Acosta showed us the “behind the scenes” video of a bedroom scene last week. You don’t realize how much more music adds to the scene until it’s not their. If there was no music, the scene wouldn’t even have had half of the effect it did with music. Music is really good at setting the mood of a scene and getting the audience to feel more for the characters, which is probably why telenovelas use it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how each couple you described from your telenovela has their own little musical cue that hints at their relationship. Music is such a prominent element in a telenovela, and it is so neat to see how it is used to make the show better. I admire the writers and musicians that come up with the music, as well as the team that picks out popular or already made songs to fit in with a certain couple or a certain character. It must take a lot of creativity to hear a song and think, "Oh this would be perfect to use in this specific scene with these two people to show the audience how in love they are!" If I were in a telenovela, I wonder what my theme would be, because the theme kind of tells the audience what vibe or essence a character gives off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your show is a remake of my show Pasion de Gavilanes. I think it is fun to see that there is a song called "You Are My Queen" because it seems to mirror "I'm His Woman" in my telenovela. I also like that shows take the time to make signature songs for each couple. It makes them distinctive to the audience even if they do not notice the background music. I think music is part of the reason people get so invested with realizing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment